Care for your waxed cotton jacket
Waxed cotton jackets are perfect for when the weather cools down, providing insulation, breathability and water repellency to cope with a range of weather conditions. With styles now so varied – from traditional to higher-end fashion designs, you can stay dry and comfortable whether you are taking part in country pursuits or enjoying a gentle stroll down the high street…
However, you should never wash your waxed cotton jacket in the washing machine or dry it in a tumble dryer! Both methods can cause damage to the waxed coating that gives you the protection you need.
Instead, care for waxed cotton the old-fashioned way – by hand. It is very easy with Nikwax, resulting in a high performance water repellent coating that will ensure the longevity of your much-loved garment.
When to re-proof?
Does your jacket look lighter and dry in places? This indicates that its waxed coating has worn away through use and over time.
You can also try the water test – simply hold your jacket under a running tap and if the water is beading up and running off it, it is ok. However, if water is absorbed and the fabric is ‘wetting out’ then re-proofing is required.
How to clean and proof?
Your jacket could be dirty through use, so hand wash it first with Tech Wash® if the care label allows, sponging the fabric clean to remove the dirt that masks its water repellency. Unlike household detergents, Tech Wash is water-based and gentle on fabrics.
- Once clean, lay the wet jacket flat on a protected surface
- Liberally spray Wax Cotton Proof all over its outer surface
- Spread it evenly using a cloth or sponge, rubbing into the fabric, especially over seams and hard-wearing areas
- Remove any excess from the fabric
- The product does appear white, but it will dry clear
- Once the jacket’s front and back is treated, hang it up to dry.
- Rub in any drips that appear / touch up any areas that may have been missed
- Leave to air dry.
Once dry, your waxed cotton jacket will be fully water repellent, extending its life, enhancing its performance and maintaining the fabric breathability. You are now set to enjoy autumn, staying dry and warm outdoors.
Leave a Reply