We head straight for our cosy winter garments at this time of year, so that we can keep warm and snug when outdoors. It is important to look after garments made from wool or fleece, so that they do not get affected if you get caught in the rain. Also, you want to know that they can keep you warm without over-heating or prevent you getting chilly from sweat if you are super active.
Here are some top facts on why Nikwax aftercare will ensure your woollen and fleece clothing performs for you this winter!
Woollen base layers
- A natural fibre, Merino wool is fantastic at wicking away sweat and keeping the user dry and comfortable. It also contains natural antibacterial properties that help to curb the build-up of odours. Because of this, Merino wool can be washed less than its synthetic counterparts. Bonus!
- Standard detergents and fabric conditioners can impair the natural performance of Merino wool; a garment’s natural wicking capabilities can be masked, causing the fabric to dry slower, absorb moisture and prevent it from actively helping to regulate body temperature.
Nikwax Wool Wash – to stay fresh, dry and comfortable
- Wool Wash is water-based, containing none of the enzymes found in standard washing and conditioning products; enzymes which, over time, can weaken wool and start to eat away at the fabric.
- It cleans AND conditions at the same time. Excellent – two products in one!
- Its formula enhances the natural wicking found in wool, ensuring that breathability is maintained and sweat will spread easily, dry faster and keep body temperature regulated.
- Wool Wash deodorises as it cleans! Base layers smell fresh and the potential for any odour build-up is removed – no stinky clothing to deal with during high energy activities.
- Woollen base layers stay soft, providing enhanced user comfort and warmth during the colder months.
Wool Wash is so easy to use
- Shake well before use.
- Place garments in the washing machine and use 50ml of Wool Wash.
- Ensure garment is washed on a cycle according to its care label.
- Dry the garment naturally – a low tumble dry setting can be used if the care label allows.
- Wool Wash can also be applied by hand: use 25ml of Wool Wash in hand-hot water in a sink or bowl, immerse the item(s) to clean. Ensure they are rinsed 3 times in cold water before leaving to dry.
Fleece mid layers and accessories
- Fleece is a great for warmth – the fabric construction ensure air gets trapped between the synthetic fibres and is warmed by body heat to help insulate, making it ideal as a mid-layer garment or in a hat or gloves.
- Fleece is also lightweight, which will be beneficial with a lot of outdoor activities, and it wicks away moisture which helps with regulating body temperature.
- Water will compromise fleece because it can be absorbed into the spaces between the fibres; this causes weight gain and loss of insulation, leading to the user feeling cold and damp. Plus, fleece can be prone to pilling after time, therefore reducing the quality of the item.
Nikwax Polar Proof® – to protect your fleece
- Polar Proof is an easy-to-use wash-in waterproofer that adds water repellency to your fleece items.
- It leaves a flexible water repellent treatment on all of the fibres, which will ensure moisture can escape whilst preventing water absorption between the fibres.
- Breathability of the fleece is maintained which helps increase the performance of the item’s insulating properties.
- Polar Proof will also inhibit pilling on the item – this means your fleece gear will have an increased user lifetime!
Polar Proof is easy to use in your washing machine
- Wash any items first with Nikwax Tech Wash, to remove all dirt and contaminants.
- Use 50ml for one item and 100ml for 2-3 items, then wash according to the care label.
- Tumble dry on a low setting if the care label allows.
- To maintain waterproofing, wash items with Tech Wash as detergent will impair the durable water repellency.