It has always been an iconic staple of country life – the waxed cotton jacket. Synonymous throughout the years, rightly or wrongly, with gentry and activities such as fishing or hunting, the waxed jacket has branched out from field to city, with more outdoor manufacturers designing garments that are reaching a wider and more diverse consumer.
Waxed cotton is a waterproof and extremely durable fabric – the cotton having been coated in a paraffin or beeswax-based wax. It suits a range of climatic conditions: providing wind protection, lightweight insulation during spring, and warmth in colder months as you can easily layer under the garment. Plus, it can last a really long time, making it good value for money.
The water repellency on a waxed jacket is one of its key features and if you want to ensure your jacket stands the test of time, then you need to know how to care for it. Nikwax has the answer and it won’t take much time or effort on your part…
Re-proofing a waxed cotton jacket
Waxed jackets should be re-proofed at least once a year, but it does depend upon wear. When you notice cracks or lines appearing on the outer fabric, that is the wax wearing away from the garment: this is when water could start to be absorbed, which will lead to moisture vapour building up on the inside of the garment and you feeling clammy.
Nikwax Wax Cotton Proof:
An easy-to-use spray-on that provides instant durable water repellency.
Wax Cotton Proof prevents waxed cotton garments from absorbing water and ‘wetting out’, while helping to maintain breathability.
It’s easy for you to use!
- Simply clean the outside of the jacket with Tech Wash® (refer to the care label first!) using a damp cloth or sponge, to remove any dirt or contaminants on the fabric.
- Fasten the jacket and lay on a clean surface.
- Use gloves and spray Wax Cotton Proof evenly and generously on to the outer fabric.
- Spread with a damp sponge or cloth and rub evenly into the fabric.
- Hang to air dry – rubbing in any drips and touching up areas that may have been missed.
Care for a waxed jacket correctly with Nikwax aftercare and it will perform for many years to come – keeping you dry, protected and comfortable whenever outdoors.