How To: make fleece water resistant with Nikwax
Fleece keeps us warm during autumn and winter, whether we wear it as a top, jacket, gloves, scarf or hat. The fibres trap body heat, keeping you feeling cosy and warm when the temperatures are low outside.
However, water and fleece are not great companions… If you are caught in the rain wearing untreated fleece, the fabric will rapidly absorb water, gain weight and lose vital insulation. In extreme weather this can be dangerous – causing body temperature to drop and even leading to hypothermia.
Protecting your fleece gear with Nikwax is the best way to make clothing and accessories more versatile as the seasons’ change.
PolarProof is a wash-in waterproofer that treats all of the fleece fibres with a flexible water repellency to prevent water absorption. It is so effective that it allows moisture to escape from the body whilst trapping the heat that keeps us warm. Breathability and insulation are maintained when fleece is treated with PolarProof.
Plus, PolarProof will help prevent the build-up of pilling on fleece – which can make fleece gear look worn and tired – thereby your fleece will have a prolonged useable lifetime and look newer for longer.
How to use PolarProof
- Clean the item first with Tech Wash – washed according to the care label.
- No need to dry the item after washing.
- Remove any detergent build-up from the washing machine dispenser.
- Use 50ml for 1 fleece item, 100ml for 2-3 items and pour the treatment into the washing machine dispenser.
- Wash again according to the care label.
- Preferably air-dry the garment for energy saving, but you can tumble dry on a low setting if the care label allows.
- Cleaning fleece regularly with Tech Wash after proofing will maintain its water repellency. Do not use normal household detergents once a fleece item has been proofed – they leave water-attracting residues on the fabric.
Leave a Reply