Nikwax’s duo of tent aftercare products are safe for the user and the environment, they are water-based and contain no PFCs or harmful chemicals.
Your synthetic tent must be protected from the sun. The ultraviolet (UV) rays can be incredibly damaging and reduce the fabric tear strength, making your tent vulnerable. UV rays, as well as general dirt, will also damage the durable water repellent (DWR) coating on the tent, so sooner rather than later you may find it is not as dry inside as you need it to be!
When getting your tent out for the new season of sleeping outdoors, it is always best to give it a clean. Tent & Gear SolarWash® is a high performance cleaner that will remove all dirt and contaminants embedded on the fabric – even if you think it looks spotless, there is most likely dirt on the outer fabric!
Tent & Gear SolarWash has a hidden power to truly help your tent – it will protect the fabric against the harmful UV rays! If you left your tent in sunlight for 2 weeks of continuous exposure, the tear strength of the fabric would reduce by half, thereby reducing the useable lifetime of your gear. Tent & Gear SolarWash efficiently protects against UV damage, and, at the same time, will revive the DWR coating.
When your tent no longer is beading up water on the outer fabric, then you need to re-proof it in order to remain nice and dry inside. Tent & Gear SolarProof® is an easy-to-use waterproofer for synthetic tents and gear, such as panniers and rucksacks (avoiding the straps). It provides a high performance water repellent coating to keep you and your equipment dry. It also gives additional protection against UV rays.
It is best to use Tent & Gear SolarProof when your tent is new, but older tents benefit from its high performance protection.
Both aftercare products will effectively double the useable lifetime of your tent and gear!
HOW TO CLEAN:
- Use approximately 50ml of product for 1m2 of fabric.
- Spray evenly to the outside and rub in with a damp cloth – paying attention to any really dirty areas.
- Rinse with clean water and, if not reproofing, ensure the tent is completely dry before packing it away.
- Tent & Gear SolarWash can be used on both synthetic tents and cotton/canvas tents.
You don’t need to let your tent or gear dry after cleaning before you apply Tent & Gear SolarProof. It can be applied by hand to both wet and dry fabrics.
HOW TO PROOF:
- Use approximately 50ml of product per 1m2 of fabric.
- Spray evenly to the outer fabric and leave for 2 minutes.
- Remove any surplus with a damp cloth and check that no areas have been missed.
- After several minutes check again and remove any surplus.
- The DWR will develop upon drying and you must ensure that your tent or gear are thoroughly dried before packing away.
- Cotton or canvas tents should be proofed with Nikwax Cotton Proof.