Stay Active for Your Wellbeing!
Worried you may be becoming more sedentary because of the greater amount of time spent at home? Feeling more lethargic than usual? Perhaps you are struggling with your mood some of the time? Well, it is crucial to try and stay as active as you can right now – the benefits outweigh anything else! Do remember, that if you go outdoors to be active then please do this safely – be mindful of social distancing and the government advice around daily exercise.
Dress for being active!
If you don’t currently have means to get active outside, the first place to start indoors is getting some active sports clothing on. If you are dressed as you normally would for the gym, running, or your yoga class, you are more likely to feel inspired to be active in the house than if you stay in your pyjamas!
But, whether active indoors or outdoors, wearing appropriate clothing means you will stay fresher once you start to get hot – sports clothing is designed to wick moisture away from the body. You don’t want to feel clammy and smelly! If you have not done so yet, then prepare your synthetic sportswear with Nikwax BaseFresh®. It is a powerful deodorising conditioner that you use in your washing machine (in place of regular fabric conditioner) alongside your normal detergent. It prevents the build-up of nasty bacteria on fabrics, deodorising the fabric and keeps you feeling fresh, whilst also enhancing the wicking properties.
Keep up those steps
Don’t just sit on your sofa watching the telly, get your kit on and start those steps, whether you like to walk or run. We have already been letting people know how to ‘Hike at Home’ – so if you have a good set of stairs in your home, utilise these if you are unable to get outdoors. Perfect to burn calories, strengthen muscles and get your heart rate up!
Did you know, if you managed 5,736 steps up and down your stairs, or even walking around your lounge or garden, that is the equivalent of climbing to the peak of Ben Nevis!
The benefits of walking and running are super powerful and something that will aid everyone at this point in time! Here are a few little facts for you…
- Regular walking will really help the area of your brain that is associated with memory. If you manage 50-60 mins at least 3 times a week, you are keeping your brain focussed and will have better concentration.
- Walking lowers the risk of health issues, such as diabetes – try and aim for at least 3,500-5,000 steps a day (if not more!).
- One walk a day, walking briskly, will help reduce the risk of obesity in half. A lot of us are eating more due to being stuck at home, so it’s great to know you can burn those extra calories back off again!
- Walking boosts your mood. Whether walking a route around your garden, doing your stair challenge, or being able to access a safe location outdoors, this regular movement is known to actively reduce any symptoms of depression. Your mental health will thank you for staying active!
- Just 30 minutes of running will boost the quality of sleep you get. You can have a well-rested night and wake up the next day energised and ready to go again.
- Running also has the power of continuing to burn calories even when you have stopped. That ‘after burn’ just continues the goodness you have already brought to yourself by going out, or staying in, for a run.
- Wonder why people get addicted to running? The brain releases feel-good chemicals, so afterwards you feel happier and satisfied and on a bit of a high due to the natural release of endorphins and endocannabinoids.
- Combine your walk or run with some meditation and you will have the ultimate in stress relief. Very important at this time of upheaval in our lives.
Whatever you do, to make the most of your activity at home or outdoors, you want to feel comfortable, otherwise you will not make the most of the benefits exercise gives you and won’t have as much enjoyment.
Keep your gear in good condition and we can assure you that you can Keep Active, Keep Healthy and Stay Fresh even whilst in lockdown.
Get those sports shoes cleaned. There is nothing worse than stinky footwear. Nikwax Sandal & Sports Shoe Wash cleans all non-waterproof footwear; it removes bad odour-causing bacteria, reduces shoe fabric from rotting due to the build-up of contaminants, deodorises the insole and foot bed, and helps moisture to escape to the outside.
Base Wash is perfect to both clean and condition your synthetic sports gear. Easy to use in a washing machine, it removes all dirt, deodorises the fabric and keeps you comfortable when wearing your next-to-skin clothing.
Lastly, Wool Wash. This effective cleaner is designed specifically for delicate woollen gear, e.g. Merino base layers; it enhances wicking and breathability, keeping the garment soft and banishing odour build-up. You can use it to wash your wool jumpers and other delicate items too.
Nikwax is here for you! Our products are quick and easy to use (either in a washing machine, or by hand), they are water-based, so no harmful chemicals to affect you or the environment, and, most importantly – they do the job they are made for – keeping you feeling dry, fresh and comfortable whilst staying active!
Leave a Reply